Rotorua's air is cleaner & safer
For over ten years the community has been swapping their old, smoky fires for cleaner technology. The air is now cleaner and safer.
Thank you for playing your part. Only use compliant burners. If you suspect someone is using a non-compliant burner, smell an offensive odour, or notice excessive smoke phone the Pollution Hotline - Phone 0800 884 883.
Is your wood burner compliant?
Does your wood burner have a Solid Fuel Burner Consent issued under the Building Act 2004 that is dated after 1 September 2005?
You can check this by contacting Rotorua Lakes Council.
Click on this flowchart to see if your existing burner is legal and can be replaced
Is your burner non-compliant?
A solid fuel burner is illegal to use if any of the following bullet points apply:
- The wood burner was installed before 1 September 2005?
- The solid fuel burner is designed to burn coal?
- The primary purpose of the solid fuel burner is to heat water or for cooking?
- The burner was installed after 1 September 2005 but Rotorua Lakes Council did not issue a Solid Fuel Burner Building Consent under the Building Act 2004.
- It's an indoor open fire.