Skip to main content
Menu Close Menu Search

Solid Fuel Burner Change Required at Point of Sale

Home buyers and sellers in Rotorua need to check that wood burners and any indoor appliance that burns wood or coal are clean air approved. This rule is for all residential properties in the Rotorua airshed.

You cannot sell a property in Rotorua with any appliance that burns wood or coal, that is not on the Ministry for the Environment's Authorised Wood and Pellet Burner List. Non-complying wood burners need to be removed (or replaced) prior to sale. Vendors are legally obliged to remove non-compliant appliances but are not under any obligation to replace them before selling.

NO open fire, potbelly stove, Marshal heater, coal range, coal or wood cooker, or any wood burner installed pre-2006 is compliant.

Is your wood burner clean-air approved?

Wood burners installed in 2006 and onwards should be clean-air approved.

Easy ways to check if your burner is clean-air approved

1. Look behind the wood burner and see if there is a tag or metal plate.

Clean air burners meet the set emission rating (1.5g per 1kg of wood burnt) and heating efficiency (greater than 65%) standards.

Ministry for the Environment logo

2. Go to Ministry for the Environment website to see if your burner model is listed as an approved clean-air model.

Rotorua Lakes Council logo

3. Check the installation date of your burner. Wood burners installed after 1 September 2005 should be clean-air burners.

If you are unsure when your burner was installed call Rotorua Lakes Council on 07 348 4199 and ask for information regarding the property Building Consent for the wood burner.

Non-compliant solid fuel burners

If you find out your burner is not a clean air model you must remove the wood burner from your property. Open fires can be blocked off and the chimney capped to make it inoperable. You do not need to replace the heating. You can leave the replacement to the new owner.

Compliance Certificate

If you remove a solid fuel burner but you don't want to upgrade before you sell, you should complete a Bylaw Point of Sale Compliance Form. This allows the purchaser to apply for a Hot Swap loan to install electric or gas heating. Please note this does not include open fires which need to be made inoperable but cannot be used as a trade under the Hot Swap scheme. Complete the Bylaw Point of Sale Compliance form.

Buying a home with a wood burner?

If you are buying a home with a wood burner check with the vendor or real estate agent that it is clean-air approved. If not, the vendor needs to remove the burner. An open fire needs to be made inoperable.

Ask for a copy of a completed Rotorua Air Quality Control Bylaw Point of Sale Compliance Form. This form gives you six months (from the date you take ownership) to apply for either an electric or flued gas heating loan through Council's Hot Swap Scheme. Gas and electric heating loans are interest-free and can be paid back over ten years.